Marawi—One of America’s most wanted terrorists may have escaped a five-week battle with Islamist militants in this city, which began with a raid to capture him, the military said Saturday.
Isnilon Hapilon, a veteran Filipino militant, said to be the leader of the Islamic State group in Southeast Asia, has not been seen in the battle zone in Marawi City, said Lt. Gen. Carlito Galvez, head of the military’s Western Mindanao Command.
An attempt by government troops to arrest Hapilon in Marawi on May 23 triggered a rampage by Islamist militants flying black IS flags who seized parts of the mainly Muslim city.
President Rodrigo Duterte declared martial law in Marawi and the entire southern region of Mindanao, unleashing an offensive to crush what he said was an attempt by the jihadist group to establish a stronghold in the area.
“He [Hapilon] has not been seen in the area. We have some reports that he was already able to slip somewhere but as of now we are still confirming the reports,” Galvez said in a radio interview.
Asked if Hapilon was on the run, he said: “Yes, yes because reportedly he suffered a lot of casualties. Majority of his group, more than half, were casualties.”
Hapilon was indicted in Washington for his involvement in the 2001 kidnapping of three Americans in the Philippines, and has a $5-million bounty on his head from the US government, which has his name on its “most wanted” terror list.
He leads a faction of the bandit group Abu Sayyaf that has pledged allegiance to IS.
Security analysts said he has been recognized by IS as its “emir” or leader in Southeast Asia, a region where the group wants to establish a caliphate.
The military said Hapilon’s group had joined forces with another armed militancy, the Maute group, to launch the Marawi siege, now on its second month.
On Saturday, security forces continued intense air raids and artillery fire on pockets of Marawi still occupied by the militants, while troops fought house-to-house gunbattles on the ground.
“The operation is going on, the firefights are intense. We have gained substantial ground,” said Galvez.
Nearly 300 militants and 67 government troops have been killed in the fighting, according to official figures.
Galvez said there are “strong indications” that two or three of the Maute brothers—among the key players in the siege—had been killed, including Omarkhayam Maute, believed to be the group’s top leader.
Only one brother, Abdullah, has been visible in the fighting, Galvez added.
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by The Standard. are views by thestandard.ph readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of thestandard.ph. While reserving this publication’s right to delete that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with The Standard editorial standards, The Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this section.
All Credit Goes There : Source link