By Yas D. Ocampo
DAVAO CITY — Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio said that her city government is not racially profiling anyone in the Davao, which enacted an anti-discrimination ordinance in the wake of the declaration of Martial Law in Mindanao.
Mayor Carpio pledged that there would be no racial profiling in the conduct of the police’s Oplan Bulabog here.
On Thursday last week, 250 persons of interest were invited by the Davao City Police Office for verification of identities amid information that suspicious-looking individuals had entered Barangay Bucana and Mini Forest.
Mayor Inday said that while authorities do not target a particular group or members of a single religious group, it was unfortunate that “radicalism is associated with Muslims.”
Culture is diverse in the city, she said.
Sr. Supt. Alexander Tagum, the city police director, said the 250 persons of interest were immediately released and brought to their respective homes after their identities were verified.
He said the DCPO, together with the Task Force Davao, will continue with the Oplan Bulabog to thwart sinister plots by terrorists.
He said the police will promptly act on any information that could help the police and the Task Force in this endeavor.
“We assure you that we will immediately respond to your report. This is a concern of everyone,” he said.
Tagum also said the city remained generally peaceful since the declaration of Martial Law.
“The City is generally peaceful with the support of all the residents and visitors of Davao City,” he said.
Around half of those gathered during last week’s Oplan Bulabog said they were Christians in a show of hands.
In her message for Ramadan, Mayor Carpio asked the public to fight against bigotry and discrimination, in the celebration of the Holy Month of Ramadan here and outside the city.
All Credit Goes There : Source link