ANTI-Marcos rallyists on Monday locked horns with loyalists of former President Ferdinand Marcos outside the gates of the Libingan ng mga Bayani in Taguig City, where a private celebration of the former leader’s 100th birthday was being held.
The minor mayhem began when Marcos loyalist, identified as Henry Baluso, approached the protesters and attempted to snatch one of their banners away—seen on GMA’s Balitanghali.
Policemen stepped in and stopped the fight just as the tug-of-war escalated to shoving and pushing.
According to the report, personnel from the Philippine Army and Southern Police District tasked to secure the area, outnumbered the actual participants from both groups combined.
The anti-Marcos groups left the area as of noontime.
While the private celebration was going on, including a province-wide anniversary in Marcos’ home province of Ilocos Norte where the national government declared a non-working holiday, the opposition Liberal Party said the nation “must never forget how much the country has suffered while he [Marcos] catered to the interests of the few.”
It accused the former strongman—elected in 1965 and deposed from power in 1986—of leaving what it called a lasting legacy of tyranny, oppression, and corruption.
It added: “We must also remember that our People Power Uprising inspired nations in many parts of the world, such as Poland, South Africa, and South Korea, to likewise rise up peacefully to effect change in their respective nations.”
Despite the heavy downpour, the loyalist groups intended to wait for the attendees of the ceremony to come out. They also sang “Happy Birthday” for the late President.
Only a few representatives from the groups were allowed to enter the Libingan.
Members of the media, who were prohibited from going beyond the gates, were told that the Marcos family was holding a simple celebration after a Mass.
As their vehicles arrived, guests who attended the private event remained unknown.
The Marcos family previously said it invited former members of Marcos’ Cabinet.
President Rodrigo Duterte was among those invited to the event.
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. are views by manilastandard.net readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandard.net. While reserving this publication’s right to delete that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this section.
All Credit Goes There : Source link