Marcos ignores arrest threat – Manila Standard

0
76


FORMER senator Ferdinand Marcos Jr. on Friday shrugged off the threats against him by the House of Representatives over his advice to his older sister, Ilocos Norte Gov. Imee Marcos, not to attend a committee probing the alleged misappropriation of P66.45 million in public funds.

He said he was able to discuss the matter with his sister Imee but refused to comment further on the issue.

“Well, we’ve been threatened with arrest. The more, the merrier,” Marcos told reporters at the sidelines of the monthly members’ meeting of Philippine Constitution Association.

On Thursday, House Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez signed a subpoena to compel Imee Marcos to attend the July 25, 2017 resumption of the congressional probe on P66.45-million fund. 

Surigao del Sur Rep. Johnny Pimentel, head of the House committee on good government and public accountability, said the subpoena ad testificandum to Marcos dated June 25 had been signed.

PHILCONSA MEET. Former senator Ferdinand ‘BongBong’ Marcos Jr. (left) confers with Philconsa chairman and  chief executive officer Manuel Lazaro during the monthly membership meeting of Philconsa officers and members at the Manila Golf Club in Makati City. Ey Acasio

Pimentel said Marcos’ failure to attend the probe would be enough ground for her to be cited in contempt and to be arrested.

He said his committee will serve the subpoena.

“Failure to comply with this order is subject to penalty under the law,” the subpoena says.

Marcos earlier maintained she would not attend the congressional probe on the advice of her brother as she might also be detained at the Batasan Complex with the “Ilocos Six.”

The six officials are accused of evading questions on the P66.45-million fund, Ilocos Norte’s share of the excise tax on tobacco products. 

Pimentel earlier stood pat on the position of the House leadership to ignore Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno’s request not to push through with its “show-cause order” against three Court of Appeals justices who ordered his committee to release the six officials.

Alvarez had called the three officials “idiots.”

COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by The Standard. are views by thestandard.ph readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of thestandard.ph. While reserving this publication’s right to delete that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with The Standard editorial standards, The Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this section.



All Credit Goes There : Source link

Comments

comments