Tehran — Iran’s Revolutionary Guards chief announced the “end of the sedition” Wednesday as tens of thousands rallied in a show of strength for the country’s Islamic rulers after days of deadly unrest.
General Mohammad Ali Jafari said the Guards only intervened “in a limited way” against fewer than 15,000 “troublemakers” nationwide, adding that a large number had been arrested.
The White House declared it would seek new sanctions against those involved in the crackdown.
Protests over economic problems broke out in Iran’s second city Mashhad last week and quickly spread across the country, turning against the regime as a whole in the biggest test for the authorities since mass demonstrations in 2009.
A total of 21 people have died in the unrest as protesters in some areas have attacked government buildings and police stations.
“Today we can announce the end of the sedition,” Jafari said, quoted on the Guards’ website.
“A large number of the troublemakers at the centre of the sedition, who received training from counter-revolutionaries… have been arrested and there will be firm action against them,” he said.
Jafari added those behind the protests had “intervened massively on social media” but that “once restrictions were started, the troubles reduced”.
His declaration came after major rallies by regime supporters.
Chants of “Leader, we are ready” were heard as images showed thousands marching in the cities of Qom, Ahvaz, Kermanshah and elsewhere.
The demonstrators waved Iranian flags and pictures of supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, as well as placards saying “Death to seditionists”.
All Credit Goes There : Source link