Former world champion Bernard Hopkins is unconvinced that Manny Pacquiao lost to Australia’s Jeff Horn when they fought earlier this month, but nevertheless hopes that the “Pacman” will move on from that defeat.
Pacquiao was a massive favorite over Horn when they fought in the “Battle of Brisbane” last July 2, but the homegrown fighter managed to hack out a controversial decision to claim the WBO welterweight belt.
Speaking to Radio Rahim, Hopkins said that in his opinion, “there is no way in the world that Pacquiao lost that fight.”
“No way in the world,” he said emphatically, as quoted by Boxing Scene.
Hopkins, who won titles at middleweight and light-heavyweight, said he could not help but shake his head when the decision was announced.
“I gave Pacquiao at least nine rounds, eight easy,” said Hopkins, who became the oldest man to win a major world title in 2014. “I don’t see how (Horn) won. I don’t know what they (the judges) were watching.”
There is a rematch clause in Pacquiao’s contract, but Hopkins believes there is no reason for the “Pacman” to face Horn again. In his eyes, the Filipino star won their first encounter easily, and should do so again in a rematch.
Instead, Hopkins is hopeful that Pacquiao will target a different opponent for his next fight.
“I think he should move on, and not have sour grapes about it,” Hopkins said of Pacquiao.
“(He should) move on at this stage of his career, and fight somebody meaningful,” he added. “A fight that’s not only going to be profitable, but also to enhance his legacy.”
Pacquiao endorsed a request by the Philippines’ Games and Amusements Board to have the fight reviewed by the World Boxing Organization (WBO). However, a WBO review still scored the bout in favor of Horn.
The “Pacman” briefly contemplated retirement following the loss, but later said that he intends to fight on.
For more sports coverage, visit the ABS-CBN Sports website.
All Credit Goes There : Source link