Allow those facing nonbailable charge of plunder to post bail — Enrile » Manila Bulletin News

0
14


Published

By Mario Casayuran

Former Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile on Saturday asked the Sandiganbayan to allow those facing the nonbailable charge of plunder arising from the controversial P10-billion pork barrel (Priority Development Assistance Fund or PDAF) scam to post bail.

Former senator Juan Ponce Enrile (Credits: Wikimedia Commons | Manila Bulletin)

Of course, they would face trial but they should not be in jail ‘’because every day of detention is less in the life of those people detained, it is a mental torture,’’ Enrile said.

Enrile, 94, himself had been allowed by the Supreme Court to post bail for humanitarian reasons on the plunder charges.

He and Senators Jose ”Jinggoy’’ Estrada and Ramon “Bong’’ Revilla Jr. and Enrile’s chief of staff, lawyer Gigi Reyes, had been accused of plunder arising from the pork barrel scam.

Estrada was released yesterday after being allowed to post bail by the Fifth Division of the Sandiganbayan.

Still under detention for the past three years are Revilla and Reyes.

“They have families who need and miss them,’’ Enrile said.

Enrile said he is sad the charge of plunder is based ”on evidence that are Xerox copies of document….are not clear and are hearsay that need to be proven.’’

As a former Justice secretary during the early years of the Marcos administration, Enrile expressed hopes that their trial should be on a fast mode as the current wheel of justice in the country moves very slowly.

Asked during a radio interview yesterday how he felt about Estrada being temporarily free after posting bail, Enrile said he called up Estrada and congratulated him.

He said he also advised Estrada to rest first and enjoy the company of his family before they meet.

Tags: , , , , , ,



All Credit Goes There : Source link

Comments

comments