By Francis Wakefield
The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) on Thursday said that 13 members of the Maute Group have so far been killed as a result of the continuing assault launched by government forces in Marawi City.
In a press briefing, AFP Public Affairs Office (PAO) chief Marine Col. Edgard Arevalo said a still undetermined number of terrorists was wounded in the continuing assault to flush out the Maute members and bring normalcy to the city.
Arevalo added that as per reports they received from the 1st Infantry Division, five soldiers were killed while 32 others were wounded.
He added that as of Wednesday night, they have not received any reports of civilian casualties, but confirmed that there are indicators that hostages were taken by terrorist.
Arevalo said government forces are doing their best to prevent members of the Maute Group from escaping .
“We need to ensure that none of their members will escape from the city by disguising themselves as civilians,” he said.
A military source earlier said that seven government personnel – five soldiers and two policemen – were killed while 33 others were wounded as a result of the clashes with the Maute Group.
Arevalo, meanwhile, said that as per information provided by Western Mindanao Command (WestMinCom) chief Lt. Gen. Carlito G. Galvez Jr., they will be needing two to three days before they can completely clear Marawi City of the Maute terrorists.
All Credit Goes There : Source link